ATTENTION!   County government will limit meetings and face-to-face contact until further notice.  Please refer to County's Facebook page for latest information.  Click following link:


Stormwater Management Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Effective July 1, 2014, The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) began implementing statewide nonpoint source pollution control programs to protect the Commonwealth's water quality and quantity. Nonpoint source pollution is water pollution caused by stormwater runoff that is not confined to a single source, such as a wastewater treatment plant or industrial discharge pipe. One of the main ways of controlling nonpoint source pollution is through stormwater management, which includes erosion and sediment control.

Stormwater runoff is water flowing overland into surface waters or water that is channeled into natural or constructed conveyance systems during and after precipitation. Unmanaged stormwater can cause erosion and flooding. It can also carry excess nutrients, sediment and other contaminants into our waters. Properly managed stormwater protects land and streams from erosion, flooding and pollutants.

A permit may be required to discharge stormwater from a construction activity. DEQ administers these permits under the Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) regulations, authorized by the Virginia Stormwater Management Act (§ 62.1-44.15:24 et seq).

Localities, operating under the DEQ program, must make a determination as to whether or not a stormwater permit is required prior to issuing any local building, land disturbing or zoning permit

Any lot(s) created on or after July 1, 2004 is subject to the requirements of the Virginia Stormwater Management Act through the “common plan of development or sale” regulation. If your property is not within a “common plan of development or sale”, then the one (1) acre of disturbed area rule applies. This includes, but is not limited to, construction of single family dwellings, manufactured homes, additions, or accessory buildings.

Residential Projects

For a single-family detached dwelling, including manufactured homes, additions, or accessory structures, etc., in a common plan of development or sale, or disturbing 1 acre or greater, the following items must be provided.

  1. Complete and download the Single-Family Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) template, revise to cover specifics of your project, and keep the SWPPP and documents listed below on the site during land disturbance activity associated with construction of the house:
    Single-Family Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template (MS Word)
  2. Print this agreement, fill it out, and keep with the SWPPP:
    Single-Family Agreement In Lieu Of A Stormwater Management Plan
  3. Print this permit, and keep with the SWPPP:
    2019 General Permit for Discharges of Stormwater from Construction Activities
  4. Print this letter, and keep with the SWPPP:
    Single-Family Detached Residential Structure Coverage Letter
  5. An Approved Local Erosion and Sediment Control Agreement In Lieu Of A Plan. This is part of your building permit application packet. Put copy with SWPPP.

Keep in mind, DEQ is the stormwater authority for Appomattox County. The Department has final say over matters concerning stormwater in Appomattox County (including the towns). The determination by the County Department of Community Development is advisory and should not be considered binding. At any time during or after construction, DEQ retains the right to inspect your property for compliance with your VSMP permit and the Virginia Stormwater Act (§62.1-44.15:39).

Commercial & Other Projects

For any other project, i.e. commercial, agricultural, etc., you will need to contact the DEQ Blue Ridge Regional office to discuss your project. If your land disturbance is over one (1) acre or is part of a common plan of development disturbing over an acre, a VSMP permit will be required. Prior to issuing a local construction, land disturbing or zoning permit, an applicant will be required to submit either a copy of your Registration Statement (from DEQ) or a written determination from DEQ that coverage is not required (ex. letter, email, etc.). There is no local stormwater fee, however, DEQ will charge a fee and the local land disturbing permit fees will apply.

For More Information

If you have any questions regarding the VSMP permit or any of its components, please contact the DEQ Blue Ridge Regional office at 434-582-5120, or refer to the DEQ  website.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer