The LOVE Sculpture is mounted on a cement slab faced with bricks representative of the McLean House, the image nationally associated with Appomattox. Located at the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park and visited by thousands annually, the McLean House parlor served as the meeting location for Generals Lee and Grant, a meeting that signaled the end of the nation's largest war and laid the groundwork for peace and reunification.
Future installation of lettering on the base will read: "Appomattox - Where Our Nation Reunited", with the seals of Appomattox County and the Town of Appomattox mounted to each side of the lettering, reminding all that Appomattox is a "united" community.
The Letter “L”
Constructed of brick from a portion of the original 1890’s wall surrounding the historic Courthouse Square in the Town of Appomattox, the “L” depicts the many historical brick buildings that have served as important landmarks in and around Appomattox for many years. (1890-era bricks donated by Appomattox County.)
Affixed to the “L” are reminders of the role played by Appomattox in the closing days of the American Civil War. Cannon balls, a reminder of the horrors of war, share the stage with the “Stacking of the Arms”, a symbol of Peace. The three stacked rifles pay homage to the Stacking of the Arms after the fighting ceased at Appomattox, the time when the Confederate troops stacked their rifles and went home to their families after four long years of war. (“Stacking of the Arms created and donated by Virginia Metal Fab. Cannon balls donated by Moore's Machine Shop.)
The Letter “O”
This letter represents the Joel Sweeney Banjo. Joel Sweeney was a local man who crafted and popularized the modern 5-string banjo by adding a 5th string to a traditional African instrument. The letter also represents the importance of the Arts and Music to the Appomattox Community.
The Letter “V”
The stonework and oars on this letter represent the historic James River and the three State Parks located in Appomattox County -- Holliday Lake, James River, and High Bridge Trail. These State Parks offer an abundance of outdoor recreational opportunities both to the Appomattox community and to the thousands of annual visitors to Appomattox. (Slate installation labor donated by Ryan Atkins.)
The Letter “E”
This letter represents the significance of the railroad in Appomattox history. From the role it played in the 1865 Surrender to the location of the new County Seat after the first County Courthouse burned in the 1890’s, the railroad has been instrumental to the cultural and economic development of Appomattox County and, in particular, the Town of Appomattox.
The train silhouette, in motion, symbolizes the constant sense of motion of Appomattox as it continues to "move forward" in terms of Tourism, Commerce, Education, and Community Growth and Development. In the smoke billowing from the train’s smokestack is “PO1”, short for Power Of One, a rallying cry used by the Appomattox Community both to overcome disaster and grief and to celebrate victory and cherished moments. (Train created and donated by Virginia Metal Fab.)